- Students should gain command of interwoven language functions consisting of:
- Oral language
- Written language
- Visual language
- Students should develop literacy in English that will help them to become competent, effective and critical users of the language.
- Students should develop the ability to control literacy in the two important areas of Functional Literacy and Critical Literacy:
a. Functional Literacy involves:
- The ability to control and understand the conventions of English that are valued by the society.
- The ability to communicate ideas, feelings and attitudes
- The ability to explore and develop ideas.
- The ability to handle the ever more complex communication processes of our time.
b. Critical Literacy involves:
- The ability to understand that effective communication depends upon context, purpose and audience.
- The ability to understand language as a dynamic process in society.
- An appreciation of socio-cultural diversity